Regular dental, vision and hearing exams are important when it comes to maintaining your overall health. The bad news is that preventative screenings for the 3 are not covered under Original Medicare, which means that you will pay out of pocket when you go to see a dentist, eye doctor, or when you go to have a routine hearing test. Paying out of pocket means that your expenses can really start to add up!
Original Medicare, Part A and Part B, help to pay for medically necessary care. According to Medicare.gov, medically necessary is defined as “health care services or supplies needed to prevent, diagnose, or treat an illness, injury, condition, disease or it’s symptoms and meet accepted standards of medicine.” Dental, vision and hearing care are not seen as medically necessary care under Original Medicare and that is why it is not covered.
We want you to know that you have options if you have Medicare and would like some help with the cost of dental, vision and hearing care.
There are ways to get help paying:
- Some private Medicare health insurance plans, both supplement plans and Medicare Advantage plans may include coverage for these extra services.
- There are Insurance companies that also sell individual dental, vision and hearing insurance plans that may help controls your costs.
- Depending on your household monthly income you may be eligible for a Medicare Savings program in your state.
- Community health centers funded by the Department of Health and Human Services offer extra services on a sliding scale that varies by income.
- Dental, vision and hearing discount plans are not the same as insurance, but some of them do offer free or affordable checkups along with discounts on other services.
It is important to research your options to find a plan that provides the services you want and need. Let us help you! At Trusted Senior Specialists we know and understand how difficult it can be to pay for those things that Medicare does not cover. Contact us.
We can help review your current plan to make sure that you are getting the most out of your coverage.
We can also assist you in finding affordable ways to control your medical costs, as well as help you research your options when it comes to your vision, hearing and dental needs.
Would you like to see what else Medicare covers? Download our New to Medicare Guide.