Are you turning 65? Congratulations! You have reached an important milestone and you are now eligible for Medicare! Here are 6 things you will want to consider before making a decision as important as how you will receive your Medicare Coverage:
- Do you want to enroll in Original Medicare only? Or do you need added coverage that a Medicare Advantage or a Medicare Supplement plan could provide you? There are many plans and supplements, but what is actually available to you will depend on several different factors, one of the biggest being location.
- Do you currently have health insurance coverage through an employer? Do you know how it will work with Medicare?
- Do you have a primary care physician or specialist that you are currently seeing? What about a prefered hospital or clinic? If you have a primary care physician or specialist that you currently see, and if you are wanting to continue to be seen by them, you will want to make sure that they are listed in the provider network within any plan you are interested in. There is nothing more frustrating than enrolling in a plan only to find out that your doctor or specialist does not accept the plan. You will want to ask “Does my doctor or specialists accept Medicare patients?”
- Do you take any prescription drugs? Do you have a preferred pharmacy? You will want to make sure that whatever medications you take are listed in your plan's formulary. Are they affordable? Do you qualify for Special Help?
- Will you need added coverage such as vision or dental? while Original Medicare does not cover dental exams, eye exams, eyeglasses or other related services, some Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement plans may have these as an added benefits.
- How much will you pay for premiums, co-pay’s and deductibles? Will these be affordable? Do you qualify for Medicare in your state? How about a Medicare Savings program? These important programs are designed to help pay for some of the costs associated with Medicare If you qualify.
If you are new to Medicare this process can seem very intimidating. That is where we come in. We can help you gather the information from a variety of different sources to help you to ensure you are making the right choice for your health and well being. At Trusted Senior Specialists we care about your medicare related questions and concerns!